Daniel Bouju Royal Brut de Fut

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Daniel Bouju Royal Brut de Fut

Postby numen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm a little surprised that I hadn't done this one, but that was probably because I was trying to preserve my stocks of the stuff - having a woeful amount of it stocked up for The Winter (it's coming). To celebrate getting more of it over the weekend, I decided to reopen the bottle and do new notes on it.

Bouju Royal BdF.jpg
Bouju Royal BdF.jpg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 5774 times

The bottle had been around this fill, a little under half, for a while. All the same, based on how the Tres Vieux BdF held up over time, I wasn't too concerned about this one lasting well. I also had no intention of using water anyway. I'd done the water thing with it before, and it really does turn into something rather like the Napoleon (they are the same age - 15 years). It's still good, but it loses that quality that makes it special.

Nose: Strong and with some fiesty spirit, though always rich and in balance. It's clearly sweet, and aromas are dominated by fruit, especially a golden raisin/grape mix that reminds me of some of the older Chateau Beaulons, actually. The sweetness comes off a bit like condensed syrup, and even seems molasses thick. There's a bit of discernable wood, but it's very good. As the wood mixes, there's a bit of a fig profile along with some very soft prune and cocoa powder. Over time, the syrup turns more to caramel and apple peel.

Palate: Thick and warm, and downright sippable. The alcohol brings heat, but it's always in line and never shocks the tongue or masks the flavors. Sweet and syrupy on entry, the elixir transforms at midpalate with the wood (evident from the nose) and has that bracing Bouju dryness/bitterness from the wood. It subsides, and it was just enough to keep this from being too sweet. The wood has a lovely hint of rancio, and all the same fruit from the nose returns, and some vanilla for good measure. There's less cocoa here, but more on tobacco leaves from the dryness. Still much more on fruit.

Finish: Long and deep, the flavors remain strong. Everything comes together, the wood, the fruit, the spices, and the fat caramel/syrup (depending where it is in the evolution in the glass). There's an almost Sauternes like quality to it, but, instead of acidity, there's wood to counterbalance it, and it's never quite that sweet. Also, I pick up more walnut notes over time. Really just fabulous. A+

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Daniel Bouju Royal Brut de Fut

Postby BSinTX » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Great stuff!! I am going to pull my unfinished bottle from the shelf and put it back into the drinking area now that the weather is getting cooler. It just doesn't taste right when it's hot outside, but when the weather is right this stuff is heaven in a glass.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am

The stuff is so rich and syrupy, it's really hard to beat. At the advice of Sailor22, I tried to blend a few different Bouju bottlings (Napoleon, VSOP, Extra, and Royal), and the Royal really made everything better. It's really grown on me even more than when I first had it. Had anything of interest lately? I ran through some near-empty bottles very quickly just to clear them out - not the best rationale, but now I'm pretty much ready to open something new! Or may go back to some of the old Maison Surrenne bottlings, like the XO or Borderies, neither of which I've tasted properly recently.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 am

I did not drink anything worth mentioning in Brazil (Cachaca is not very good unless it's used as a mixer, so what's the point...) I returned to the Delamain just because my taste buds were pretty fresh. Good stuff, but I stand by my review; it's not exceptional. I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket, so I am going to go shopping and grab a few things. The hardest part is always trying to limit yourself to ones budget. I'm going to grab a bottle of Jean Grosperrin and put it away for some time in the future, I'm pretty darned sure I want to grab a bottle of Calvados, and I am juggling between a really nice Frapin (the first bottle didn't last very long) and A. de Fussigny "Cigar" that is on the shelf at another local liquor store.

Talk about a, "Kick yourself in the a$$" moment, I was going to buy a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Selection de Anges because it was unusually low priced at $112 a bottle. I decided I would buy it when I returned from my trip. I went to the store on Sunday, and the price is now at typical retail of $165.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Had to break this stuff out of storage. This small portion represents the last of my DB stash; I drank everything else. I poured this about 40 minutes before I actually took my first sniff. Right away I can tell that the oxygen in the bottle has slightly altered the aroma. It's not quite as powerful as it once was. Not too big of a deal, because the first sniff caused me to salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs. Really nice black licorice (the high quality kind which is dark brown), black cherries, cola, dark chocolate, and coffee. First sip reveals that the time inside the bottle has caused the stringency to change. When I first popped the cork on this sauce, sipping discipline had to be strictly enforced as at 60% ABV, it packs a serious punch. I could get about 4 or 5 sips in before having to add the slightest amount of water. I agree with neuman in that this stuff does not take water well; it's not whisky. Two or three drops did the trick, but again this was when the bottle was new. I find no need to add any water to this, although one may still want to ensure they are sipping and not gulping as the aftereffect is very long and very tasty. 30 seconds after I sip, I'm still being overwhelmed with flavors similar to the aroma except the dark chocolate is definitely Tootsie Roll. There is just no way that this product is not an A+. The website states no coloring, water, or sugar, and at 60%ABV, it just dances on your tongue the way nothing at 40% will ever come close. I hope manufacturers will start providing more of this type of Cognac.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Great review, and I know exactly what you mean by the 'loss' from oxygen here. I think that it's just as good at this point as it was from a full bottle, just slightly different. Your Maison Surrenne bottle in the background also looks a little sad.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 pm

That MS will not last for long. They don't have any more of the CG in stock, just the Borderies and though it's a nice drink, the winter is coming up and I prefer the heavier hitters. Now that I have a few more bottles in reserve, it's almost time for another box of smokes.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:35 am

I'm really curious whether TPS will start doing their own bottlings of Cognac or Armagnac. K&L has done some of it, and they've also gone for a few cask strength, unfiltered brandies (I've yet to try; the bottles are waiting for me). Jay knows his stuff well enough and he's careful enough in his selections, and the TPS private bourbon bottlings are usually stellar.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:51 pm

TPS does their own bottlings for a wide variety of spirits, but I'm not really sure they would be able to sell the same volume of Armagnac or Cognac as they would Bourbon. While I would certainly support their efforts by purchasing a bottle or three, I'm quite sure a barrel of bourbon costs much less than a barrel of Armagnac. It would be quite interesting to see this from a price perspective. I have not had a chance to speak with Jay recently, but I intend to inform him that there are a few of us searching out brandies which cater to the 21st Century palette (as the whiskey/whisky manufacturers have been so gracious to appeal.) He has received his second shipment of Jean Grosperrin Cognacs which usually are not even topped off to replace the angel's share, so he seems be aware that we are out there and taking these products off his shelves (by Christmas, they will be all gone.)

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm

You're almost certainly right about costs and the ability to move merchandise. K&L has a huge inventory and customer base for lots of spirits, but their selections of brandies seem to move much more slowly than their whiskies and bourbons. I just keep hoping that interest in good brandy will pick up, but it's probably not going to get there that quickly. Phylloxera really set back everything! On the other hand, The Whisky Exchange and La Maison du Whisky in Paris do periodically share barrels of old whisky (e.g. Karuizawa). I wonder whether TPS could do something like that, too. Of course, it's all probably just wishful thinking

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”