Any Love for Armagnac??

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Any Love for Armagnac??

Postby numen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks for the good summary of the finish. I wonder why the cognac/port finish mutes it -- maybe the wood is just too used to really keep the strong bourbon character going?

Sadly, the local shops don't carry the stuff (I wish that it were easier to get miniatures to sample things), and I don't think that I'm going to run out to get those. I may just see whether I can sneak my way to get another Stagg or Weller when those hit the market. My luck is bound to run dry, but I can't complain. Are you more a fan of the ryes or wheaters?

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm

As far as Rye or Wheater - I'm a non-denominational worshiper :D

If the flavors meld together into a cohesive fullness that is better than the original then I suppose finishing in Port or Sherry or Cognac barrels is a good thing - but I haven't tasted one that was better. They are only different and nothing has called to me the way a well balanced whiskey can.

BSinKY and numen ... If you guys PM me your address I'll send you a pack of 5 or so samples of Bourbon and Rye so that you can get some tasting done without a big investment. I have some private single barrels you might find very interesting.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Haha, I used to be much more of a wheater, but I've gotten a bit tired of PVW lately and have found myself drifting a bit more to some rye. Of course, it's mainly BTAC, so that's hardly fair because it's so good! I guess, I really love really good bourbon :? That's probably not surprising at all. I had the PVW 23, which really put me off, and then went back to the 20, and I started to notice the same varnishy/bitter finish. I was disappointed. I may have to try this Double-Oaked that BSinKY described in another thread just to see how it is!

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

A can sometimes get that same faintly metallic back end from wheaters - depending on how my palate is doing at that particular time.

Rye can give you a viscous deeply sweet mouth feel that can really hit the spot. When your talking about Rye and BTAC I assume your talking about Sazerac 18yr and Handy. Both are stupendous whiskies.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 am

Actually, I thought that the Stagg was a rye :oops: Of the ryes, I really liked the Handy. Eagle Rare was very good (at least, these are all 2011s), and I have yet to try the Saz

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 am

IMHO the Saz 18 is the best of the BTAC - I'll put some in your sample pack.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:37 am

Going back a ways, I was wondering (for BSinKY) what your thoughts are on the Bertruc armagnac. There are a few estates from La Freche, and they all seem to have a relatively similar flavor profile (my favorite), but I've not yet had one from that estate and am curious. I just ordered a bottle, but it won't arrive for a bit.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Revamp this thread as I just bought a few new bottles of Armagnac.

I have not tried Bertruc as it is not available to me at the moment. Pretty much what you see online at TPS is what I can get. There are two stores a bit smaller than TPS, but they seldom obtain Armagnac. Being that I live in KY, I cannot be too surprised so I am grateful for whatever is on the shelves.

I picked up a second bottle of Baron de Lustrac Folle Blanche 1986, bottled in 2012, ABV 42%. This is actually the second bottle I have of this; the first is still unopened and will be enjoyed some time down the road. I went right to opening this when I got home as I wanted to waste no time in going into relax mode. I will have to drink it a few more times before I give a review, but the aroma alone is worth the price. It needs to breathe, it really got interesting towards the end and I confess my impatience.

The second bottle I purchased was Darroze Domain de Dupont 1981, stored 26 years, ABV 42.5%. States right on the back of the bottle that no filtration, no water, or coloring are added. I paid full price for this bottle and would gladly do so again as the intrinsic quality is what I look for when laying out money for sauce like this.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Awesome update to the thread! I'm definitely interested to hear what you think of the Dupont and the Lustrac. I just cracked open a bottle of the Domaine Boingneres 1984 Folle Blanche, which was very interesting, and I'll have to really spend a bit more time with it before getting notes. Folle Blanche Armagnac is definitely intriguing, to say the least. Did TPS indicate whether they've got a bigger market for Armagnac these days? I was surprised how quickly they sold out of the BT Experimental Giant French Oak bourbon, and I fear lest Bourbon prices go the way of Whisky's. If it does, I could see a lot of bourbon drinkers going for Armagnac as a change.

Spirit Guy
New distillate
New distillate

Postby Spirit Guy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I am a big fan of both Cognac and Armagnac, (and let's not forget Calvados). While I appreciate the power of the large industrial size producers, my wife and I like to discover and support smaller, family owned distillers in all the brandy producing regions of France. This passion has turned into an import business that focuses on these exceptional smaller houses and brands - http://www.heavenlyspirits.info. Dartigalongue, Delord, Chauffe Coeur and Artez are some of the Armagnac producers we represent in the US. Each one has a unique style. For example Dartigalongue, the oldest Armagnac producer is known for producing a drier style of Armagnac as opposed to the Delord house, which is known for bringing out the fruit. Artez is one of the few producers who make a single variety Armagnac, with a Folle Blanche or Baco offering. The Armagnac brand Marie Duffau, our best selling Armagnac consistently wins recognition as a BEST BUY spirit. Please visit our web site or contact me here for more information. Cheers!

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”