Important information on all Pierre Ferrand Cognacs

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
hedonist
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Important information on all Pierre Ferrand Cognacs

Postby hedonist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:06 am

I originally posted this as an answer to numen and pierre in the "Selection des Anges" topic. But i realised that this is information that all cognac aficionados needs to know about. That's why i re-post this as a new topic.

The original producer Pierre Ferrand sold his brand to the two businessmen Alexandre Gabriel and Jean Dominique in 1992. For more than a decade, the range of cognacs were made in the way old Pierre Ferrand wanted to. Then he and the owners (i think Alexandre Gabriel is the sole owner now) split for unknown reasons (quality disagreements perhaps?) and all the knowledge and craftsmanship went out the door with Pierre.

Now, the name Pierre Ferrand is the only thing that is left. The cognac range still use the old names (e.g. Selection des anges, Abel) but the content in the new designed bottles are a complete disappointment. Thin, watery and soaplike taste which is gone in seconds. The soapy, watery feeling is probably dependent on the fact that the current, more business-oriented owner, probably dilute the cognac to 40% with destilled water just before bottling, instead of gently dilute the cognac over a period of six years as Pierre did. The later way of doing it let the spirit and water slowly blend together in a "marriage". I also belive that the brandy used for the blends ar of less quality than before.

I have tasted the original Pierre Ferrand Abel, Selection des Anges, Cigar Blend and also the vintage 1975 and 1976. All of them have been outstanding cognacs. The original Abel is among the best and most intriguing cognac experiences i ever had. Half a year ago i bought a bottle of Abel and Selection de Anges. The bottle design was new, Abel came in a fancy wooden box and the price had gone up about 40 %. The content on the other hand was a gruesome disappointment and i even hesitate to serve this sh*t to my drunk friends after too much wine at dinner.

So, my recommendation are to don't even touch this stuff. There are much better and even cheaper cognacs to drink.

/Hedonist

Cognac Fan
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Important information on all Pierre Ferrand Cognacs

Postby Cognac Fan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 am

Don't Pierre still have some Cognac bottled under the name "Pierre de Segonzac"?

hedonist
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby hedonist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:38 am

Yes, you are absolutley right Cognac Fan! Pierre Ferrand only sold his master and sub brands, not his estate or chais with eaux de vie. Alexandre Gabriel and Jean-Dominique Andreu bought the cellars of château de Bonbonnet from Martell to use in their making of Pierre Ferrand and Gabriel & Andreu cognac.

Pierre Ferrand first went in to partnership with Franck G. Monier in Chassors, Fin Bois, under the brand Monier-Ferrand. Now, as i understand it, Pierre sell his Cognac by himself under the brand Pierre de Segonzac. The range extends from VSOP to the 60 years old (aged) prestige blend Ancestrale.

I haven't tasted the cognac from Pierre de Segonzac yet, so i can't tell for sure if he still delivers world class quality (even if i most definitely think so). Easiest way to get certain is to buy the 30 year old "Selection des Anges" which should get you a good perception about the quality for approximately 80$ US. If that cognac pleases you, the Anscetrale is a definitive buy in my opinion.

/H

Roland
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Roland » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

hedonist wrote:Yes, you are absolutley right Cognac Fan! Pierre Ferrand only sold his master and sub brands, not his estate or chais with eaux de vie. Alexandre Gabriel and Jean-Dominique Andreu bought the cellars of château de Bonbonnet from Martell to use in their making of Pierre Ferrand and Gabriel & Andreu cognac.

Pierre Ferrand first went in to partnership with Franck G. Monier in Chassors, Fin Bois, under the brand Monier-Ferrand. Now, as i understand it, Pierre sell his Cognac by himself under the brand Pierre de Segonzac. The range extends from VSOP to the 60 years old (aged) prestige blend Ancestrale.

I haven't tasted the cognac from Pierre de Segonzac yet, so i can't tell for sure if he still delivers world class quality (even if i most definitely think so). Easiest way to get certain is to buy the 30 year old "Selection des Anges" which should get you a good perception about the quality for approximately 80$ US. If that cognac pleases you, the Anscetrale is a definitive buy in my opinion.

/H

Pierre died last month at the age of 84.

See : http://www.sudouest.fr/2013/09/13/segon ... 5-1123.php

hedonist
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby hedonist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that, Roland. Still, thank you for the information. Pierre Ferrand may be gone, but i hope his legacy is passed on by his sons and grandsons. Pierre made some truly amazing cognacs, in my opinion some of the best, and i'm absolutly sure he's getting his rightful and well deserved part of the angels share where he is now. Because, what would an eternity be without the best brandy in the world?

R.I.P Pierre. To your honor, i lift my glass with some of my last and precious drops of your craftmanship and skills.

/Hedonist
Attachments
PF_Abel.JPG
PF_Abel.JPG (97.55 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”